Fact 10Many bullies were victims of bullying before
Fact 9Bystanders play an important role to stand up for their peers
Fact 8“If there are no heros to save you, then you be the hero” – Denpa Kyoshi
Fact 7You can use Hi-5 if you are bullied; Ignore, Walk Away, Tell Someone, Stay Cool, Report
Fact 6If you are cyber bullied you can use; Stop, Block, Save and Tell
Fact 5Bullying is hurtful and not fun at all. Be a good friend Be Bully–Free
Fact 4Singapore is ranked the second for online bullying
Fact 31 in 9 adolescents reported that they were cyber bullied before
Fact 21 in 4 Secondary school students have been bullied before
Fact 11 in 5 Primary school students have been bullied before
The two key components which exist in a bullying relationship is:
- Power imbalance
- Intention to hurt
However, a single episode can also be considered as bullying:
Other characteristics of bullying is
- Repetitive (could happen more than once)
- Interrelational relationship between victim & bully
- Victims could be a bully in another episode
What can victims do to help themselves?
- Tell an adult, parent, teacher, counsellor, principal
- Ask a witness to report the bullying to the adult
- Stand up for yourself: Firmly say “Stop that!”
How can bullies stop their behaviour?
- Ask people whom you trust to help you
- Put yourself in the shoes of the victims
- Apologise to the people you have bullied if possible
How can bystanders help?
- Offer support to the victim on the spot
- Bystanders can also help by making friends with the victim
- Reporting bullying is the right thing to do!